Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Open Palm

I saw this quote on Facebook today and it is simple and so true.  “Anxiety depends on the future and depression depends on the past.”  I’m trying to focus on being present in the current moment.  I want to appreciate each stage of this moment.  I am praying that I will be able to appreciate each day whether it’s related to work, relationships, or our soon to be expanding family.  In small group this week Tracie mentioned living life with an open palm.  Learning to trust in what is in your life in the current moment without holding on too tightly to what you have now or being distracted by reaching for something else in the future.  It is the natural cycle of life that things will come and go.  I need to recognize that I am not in control and appreciate all that I can about my life exactly as it is right now.  I will always have the instinct to plan ahead but I am currently praying for a contented and joyful spirit.  Here are a few verses I’ve been praying that relate to this exact sentiment and struggle. 

Matthew 6:25-26
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Philippians 4:12-13
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.


1 Timothy 6:6-7
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment