Thursday, May 25, 2017

My First Mother’s Day as a Mommy

The week leading up to my first Mother’s day was by far our busiest and most stressful week scheduling wise since our daughter was born.  My husband had his doctoral commencement, I had full day training/meetings that kept me late at the office two days of the week, and I was a bridesmaid in a wedding (think rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, salon all day Saturday, and wedding festivities that night).  I had a diagram for each day about how many breast milk bottles to have in the fridge each morning before work, how many bags to pack for pumping, and packing lists for her diaper bag for each day.  IT WAS EXHAUSTING! It is the kind of pace we had seen many times pre-kids but man it’s a million times more tiring with a kiddo in tow for all those big activities.  Or even the events she didn’t go to I had to put a lot of time and attention in ensuring everything was prepared for her caregiver for that time frame.  So by the time Sunday, my first Mother’s Day, came along all I wanted was a low key day filled with coffee and baby snuggles.  Thankfully our daughter didn’t mind that plan at all.  Getting her out of her crib each morning is my absolute favorite and it breaks my heart I only get to do that a couple times a week right now.  She is all smiles and does the absolute cutest stretches when we unbundle her from her swaddle/sleep sack.  I sing a good morning song to her each time I get her up it’s an older song by Gene Kelly and it is such a cheery start to our day.  Kyle and our daughter gave me a beautiful sterling silver and agate necklace that our daughter loves to death grip and stare at.  And my husband wrote me a beautiful poem about our family.  It brought tears to my eyes and will be the centerpiece of a new gallery wall I’m planning along our stairs.  Then Kyle was sweet and made sure I had coffee and a delicious breakfast, I’m talking steak and eggs delicious!  We sat on the porch and played with her in her bouncer, read her stories, and sang to her.  It was perfect!  We spent the afternoon having an early dinner at my parents.  The food and the company were delightful.  I could not have asked for a better first Mother’s day as a mom.  We wore matching outfits which was so fun (for me at least).  I can’t believe that by next year she’ll be walking and saying words and short phrases.  The days are long but the years are short seems to take on a new reality when it comes to watching your children grow.  It’s magical, exciting, and heart wrenching thinking how quickly they grow up.  So for now I’ll be snuggling my sweet little baby as much as I can until she gets bigger and busier because as the saying goes babies don’t keep!








No comments:

Post a Comment