Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Comparison

“Comparison is the thief of joy” – Theodore Roosevelt

I have witnessed this first hand in my life and the lives of my friends.  There will always be someone prettier, more talented, wealthier, in better shape, and with more potential.  The problem with comparison is we simplify ourselves into one attribute at a time and compare that single attribute to other people.  Through a difficult summer for myself and some of my friends I’m coming more to terms with the idea that we are all a unique and vast combination of attributes.  I have gifts and I have flaws, and so do the people I love.  All these things have taken shape and grown overtime into the fabric of who I am. 


I fear I will struggle with comparison for the rest of my life but I do keep trying to strive to appreciate the gifts and talents in others and to get better about seeing those things in myself as well.  I want to appreciate the little things more and feel content in the present moment more often.    


No comments:

Post a Comment