Monday, May 11, 2015

#thegreatjonesmigration2k15

I have been so busy with both moves I have done a terrible job writing about the whole experience.  So here is my recap of the last two crazy weeks.  Packing was harder than I thought although Kyle didn't mind it as much as I did.  We were both surprised by the mountain of boxes in the loft once we finished packing.  We managed to fit way more than I realized into our 1200 square foot space.  Packing the last box felt so rewarding and we got done just in time.  We had saved to pay for movers which I would recommend to anyone planning to move.  It is an expense but for us it was worth every penny.  Things started out very smooth but we came to a glaring realization that everything was not going to fit in the POD.  Panic set in at first and then we mass texted a bunch of people looking for help getting the extra help moving the leftover items to my parents’ garage.  Since it was so last minute we had some difficulty but then Kyle’s dad and brother in law stepped in and rescued us.  We got all the remaining items in one trip and although we took over my mom’s parking spot for the week it all fit nicely. 

The next day was our final walk through at the house we were purchasing.  To say it was disappointing or disheartening would be a complete understatement.  They were only halfway moved out and the place was a wreck.  We were there only about 10 minutes before we had to leave as I bit back tears.  They were sad tears but also angry ones.  I got in the car and totally lost my composure, Kyle referred to it later as rage crying.  As a result of the terrible state of things we got them an extra day before handing over possession of the house.  I really wanted to go straight from closing and take photos and celebrate but our agent pointed out that the extra day would them a chance to make it right.  I’m really glad he talked us into this.

On Monday we had the closings back to back.  The closings both went pretty smoothly which was nice after the emotional roller coaster of the previous weekend.  Afterwards we went and had a nice lunch at JCT Kitchen to celebrate and then went to IKEA to get some items for our soon to be home!

Tuesday we took possession of the new house.  I drove straight there from work and couldn't wait to get in the house where we would begin the next chapter of our life.  My heart sank as I drove up the hill and saw their U-Haul was still in the driveway.  Thankfully they did clean although they left a lot of nail holes and patchwork for us to have to take care of.  You don’t expect people to leave things in that condition but as my parents said more than once that not everyone is as considerate as we are.  In the long run it only took about a day to repair everything but it was not fun to start out in our new house that way.


After that things started getting really exciting.    The move in on Saturday was very smooth which I had a true appreciation of after the bumps from the previous weekend.    Since then we've been working to unpack boxes, hang art on the wall, and make it feel like home.  My favorite moments so far were this weekend when we got to host Chad and Amanda and then hosted a Mother’s Day dinner for my parents and Kyle’s grandparents.  People think furniture or decor make a home feel like home but I truly believe it’s filling the space with memories with the people you love.




No comments:

Post a Comment