Tuesday, May 19, 2015

House Progress - Downstairs

I wish I would have taken a picture of each empty room when we first moved in but I was moving at million miles an hour that weekend and it totally slipped my mind.  This weekend marks our second full week in the house.  I loved following the progress on young house love so I’m stealing their format so I can track our progress over time. 

Dining Room – 95%
This room was by far the easiest.  Everything we had from the old house worked pretty much perfectly in this space.  The only thing we added was the BJURSTA bench from IKEA to give us two more seats at the table.  The only other plans I have for this room at this time are to add accent mirrors on either side of the china cabinet.  I have my eye on some from Hobby Lobby.




Living Room – 80% 
We reconfigured our old couch to use two of the pieces.  We also re-purposed our rug and my favorite floor lamp into the space.  We just bought the accent chair, the art on the mantle, and the side table.  Next steps - I would like to restyle the bookshelves to look more streamlined and polished.  Kyle wants a bigger TV for the media built in since ours is getting up there in years and is pretty small.  I also want a few new throw pillows to tie in the color of our new chair.  Let’s take a moment to swoon over our new accent chair with the nail head trim and side table combo.  Camel and gray are a neutral match made in heaven if you ask me!





Study – 30% (or less)
This room has a looooonnnnnnnggggg way to go.  Please pardon the still unpacked boxes.  This is the room we really didn't have any furniture for.  We did find this incredible mid-century modern record player table at a local antique store and it is the first positive step for this room.  It has character but also has clean lines which I love.  I also found a desk that I love, it has so much space and presence.  I even ordered a dock so I will have all the same tools including an extra monitor to use when I work from home or have to bring work home on the evenings/weekends.  The vision for the space is to replace that big square bookshelf with lower bookshelves.  Above the new bookshelves will be those ledges for a gallery wall.  On either side of the record player table will be accent chairs.  We've seen a couple patterned fabric options we liked as well as some dark leather options.  I want something with some character but nothing too outrageous.  Toying with the idea of a rug in the center of the room but I need the other furniture pieces in place before I can make an informed decision on whether that will look great or totally bizarre.  





Kitchen/Breakfast Area – 100% (for now)
We got such a great deal on this table set.  A lady was moving out and sold it to us for $50.  I think it’s a perfect fit for the space.  My only complaint is how often the glass has to be cleaned.  It shows every single fingerprint.  Adding the succulents to the middle of the table is one of my favorite details.  It’s amazing how much a small $10 addition can make a space feel special and more like home.  



Entry Hallway 



No comments:

Post a Comment